What a week it has been in Eastern NC. I just wanted to blog about this so I would remember it and show Haley later what she missed out on! haha! On Tues, August 23rd we had an earthquake of 5.9 magnitude. I have personally never been through an earthquake before and hopefully never will again. It was not bad, just strange because you didnt know what was causing all the shaking. Katelyn and I were watching one of her shows on TV, when the tv started to shake and so did all the pictures on the shelves. So i yelled up to David to see what he was doing as he was coming down the stairs, because he wasnt doing anything, it was just shaking he said alot up there. Then we thought it was road contruction because they are paving the road near our house or a helicopter flying over. It must have lasted at least a minute.
Then my mom calls because she gets woken up by it ( she had worked the night before) and was just making sure she wasnt left behind and no cell phones were working. I reassured her we were all here and then dad calls, he had been out to lunch asking if we felt the earthquake. I turned on the tv then and low and behold that is what they said it was. Amazing and so glad it was nothing worse than what is was.
Then if that wasnt enough for one week, then here comes Hurricane Irene to hit our coast and all this with two weeks to go in my pregnancy! We sent Katelyn to be with my parents just in case I went into labor and I did my best to stay on the couch and not too much on friday and thru sat. Saturday was a long day of power coming on and then finally staying off. We were fortunate though that ours came back on around 2am on Sunday morning. David's mom and grandmother are still without power, so they have been staying with us. The winds of course were the highest in our area besides the coast, so there is lots of damage around here, mostly trees, and we lost a few shingles, but again so glad everyone made it through safely. As David said, it is no fun being a home owner during a hurricane, this was our first one and thankfully there was nothing more than lost shingles and almost a tree ( we are trying to save him).
What a week it was with an earthquake and hurricane and being 38 weeks pregnant, now Haley can come whenever she wants!!!
Monday, August 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment